Thursday, January 21, 2010

Nings! (Thing 2)

I couldn't tell you exactly what a Ning is or how it's different from a blog. My best guess is that a Ning is a social network, similar to Facebook, but used for professional dialogue rather than personal. I belong to the English Companion Ning, which I find incredibly helpful. Basically English teachers at all levels post discussions on topics concerning, well, English (naturally). I started a profile there to post discussions about launching Harkness discussions in my Honors/AP Literature classroom. Here's the link if you care to check it out: http://www.englishcompanion.ning.com/profile/GayleBrooks

Sometimes I get "lost" in the Ning because once I search for something I'm interested in researching, I find myself clicking on all sorts of interesting topics. Next thing I know, it's an hour or two later! The Ning also forges new connections for me in the English teaching world.

I guess one thing that I still need to work out is how to use blogging or these professional social networks with students. One way that I think could work is to set up a social network for my classes. Since my students are relatively academically motivated, I can see some of them using the network for discussion and help in certain classes. Of course that might open up a whole other slew of problems with inappropriate posts, irrelevant posts, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. thanks for the background info on Ning! I have never heard of it before, but I have a better idea of it from your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ning, Moodle, Shared OneNote...each has a place in our 21st Century classrooms. A teacher's repertoire must expand at an astronomical rate!

    ReplyDelete