Friday, January 29, 2010

Thing 5 -- LinkedIn (or NOT)

OK, so I've been a LinkedIn member for awhile now and I have to say that I'm not impressed. I am a frequent social network visitor and I find LinkedIn, well, quite ho-hum to say the least. Perhaps a better word would be BOOOOOORRRRRRING! Realizing that this particular network is a professional network, I understand how some of the features of Facebook like the games, funny applications, etc. are not appropriate, but honestly, the layout is bland and there is absolutely nothing aesthetically pleasing about the site at all.

I think the only useful aspect of LinkedIn is for job networking. It certainly serves as a no-frills way to connect with others in your field of expertise at times when you are looking for a job change or employment in general. However, that's the only benefit I find in the service. Otherwise, it's a lot more interesting staying in contact with former colleagues via Facebook because it's not so serious. If I had to label LinkedIn, I'd call it the conservative Republican of the social networks.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you think LinkedIn is the stodgy Republican at the cocktail party. I totally agree. I haven't created my profile yet, but have visited it before when stalking other people (don't judge) and was always like, "that's it?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several reflections about LinkedIn... reading yours makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete