Monday, February 1, 2010

Addictive Nings!

My biggest concern at the moment is trying to figure out what I could write about Nings that I didn't already write about in my previous post about Nings! So, if any of this is repetitive, I apologize in advance.

As I wrote in an earlier blog, I subscribe to the English Companion Ning. Here is the link to my EC site: http://englishcompanion.ning.com/profile/GayleBrooks. Truthfully, I happened upon the Ning quite by accident. I was researching student-centered discussions and came across a post from Jodi Rice http://englishcompanion.ning.com/profile/JodiRice, an English teacher from Canada about Harkness Discussions. Jodi attended the Phillips Exeter Academy Summer Institute where she was trained to use Harkness discussions in her classroom http://www.exeter.edu/admissions/147_harkness.aspx. On her Ning she posted specific steps that she took to launch the discussions in her classes, which I found very helpful. She also uploaded a few documents to help track and evaluate discussions. I was able to communicate with her back and forth on the Ning asking for clarification and feedback. Really, without the Ning I wouldn't have known what to do or how to do it without attending the Institute myself.

On the EC Ning I document my progress in launching Harkness discussions in my own classroom. I received feedback from other teachers across the country and I have to say it was pretty exciting to get the first few comments. I'm now able to stay in touch with Anne Rubin professionally as well since she also has an EC Ning! http://englishcompanion.ning.com/profile/AnneRubin684?xg_source=activity

2 comments:

  1. How often do you go to the EC Ning? I can see that you have a great PLC in the EC Ning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check the EC Ning at least a couple times a week. The frequency really depends upon what I'm planning in class for that week. In terms of my posts, I haven't had new ones in awhile, although I have commented on others' posts. My particular blog has to do with Harkness discussions, and I have nothing new to update there. I suppose a quick "things are going great" might work as well as what I would do differently next year.

    ReplyDelete