Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thing 7 - RSS, I FINALLY get it!

I have to be honest, I didn't think I'd ever subscribe to an RSS feed. This is primarily because I didn't understand it. My first encounter with an RSS feed was a horribly complicated site that tried to sell me on how great RSS was, but did so in such a complicated manner that it did exactly the opposite! That person could have used a crash Marketing 101 course, which I would've been more than happy to teach, but I digress. Anyway, I had no idea what he was talking about and all I wanted was some sort of frequent update to...something...(I can't recall what). I couldn't figure out where these updates would go. Into the air? How would I "capture" these feeds? It was all Greek to me, and I'd like to think of myself as open to new technology and not particularly stupid when it comes to computers in general.

So, thank you 23 Things! When I saw the RSS topic I groaned...oh no, not again! But surprisingly it was fairly easy, and who knew that I only needed Google Reader to manage all of them. Really, who knew? Clearly not me.

What I like best about this RSS feed is that I do have all of the blogs in one spot. Like many other people I often spend far too much time reading things here and there on the Internet, hence my apprehension to even subscribe to the few that I'm looking at for 23 Things! It's far more interesting for me to look at possibilities than the task at hand, in which case is not good for my classes because I clearly need to focus on the task at hand to figure out what I'm doing in class tomorrow. Fancy my plight?

Anyway, RSS has a new fan. Now...what am I doing in class tomorrow again?

2 comments:

  1. On behalf of 23 Things, you are welcome. It's interesting for something so simple, RSS can be complex if not introduced well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you whole-heartedly about your intial interaction with RSS. I am delighted with Google Reader. I don't think it was the way the concept was introduced in my case. Instead I think I have grown in my use of technology and appreciate how an RSS feed can help me take control of all that I like to read.

    ReplyDelete